Thursday 9 September 2010

Holler from Roma

Bonjourno from Italy! ...Rome to be precise.

What a trek it was to arrive yesterday! But after 12 hours of straight travelling, hopping from train to train, train to aeroplane, areoplane to train, train to metro, metro to bus, we finally reached our first destination and place to call home for three nights...Plus Camping Fabulous, Roma.




Our little pad is pretty cute. The complex is like an Italian version of Butlins, and fits the bill.



Colosseum





Today we hit up the Colosseum, Arco di Constantino and Palatino. To you and I, that's a bunch of Roman ruins and a rather lovely looking arch.
The Colosseum was epic inside. It was sooo huge and completely different to how I imagined it to be. For a start, there were no visable seats anymore! (Well except a couple which were sealed off). I just wished that entering the building would have also taken me back in time so I could have fully experienced what the place must have been like...saying that, the Romans were pretty brutal, not sure if I would have wanted to witness murders for fun.
bearded house
Here's a beardy house.
Arch
Then we went over to Palatino, where we heard some fastinating tales about what went down there 2000 years ago, or so. I won't try to retell them, as I will just make it sound pants. But here is the Emperor's Arena, because he was too posh to go to the common arena next door (Colosseum), and some other epic sites to be seen in the Palatino...


roman ruins

The breeze makes my collotes look like parachute Aladdin pants.


I also saw this, but I have no idea what it's about, but it's called Ninfeo Della Pioggia.


...but it takes a nice picture.

The most fascinating I found out today, is that there is so much more of Ancient Rome that we, well ANYONE hasn't seen. 60% in fact, as it's all underground, and has been built on top of over the years. This is also why there are only two metro lines running through Rome, as every time they have tried to dig underground to build a new route, they bump into a Roman Bath, or part of a Stadium.

Rome is epic.